“As one of the country's most well-established law firms, FJ&G de Saram continues its reign at the top of each tier.”
IFLR 1000 - Guide to the Worlds Leading Financial Law Firms - 2010
In keeping with the community service ethos bequeathed to us, the Firm maintains an active and varied program of pro-bono legal work.
We have provided free legal services to the Government of Sri Lanka, archaeologists, artists, diverse corporate entities, environmentalists, journalists, charitable trusts, social workers etc.
Such work of ours includes, establishing institutions such as :
- Institute for the development of Commercial Law and Practice (ICLP) for the advancement of commercial law, its administration and practice in Sri Lanka and setting up of a commercial arbitration centre in Sri Lanka;
- Sri Lanka Press Institute for a self regulated press;
- Sri Lanka College of Journalism for teaching journalism to enhance the standards of journalism in Sri Lanka and setting up a journalism research and resource centre;
- South Asia Foundation – Sri Lanka Chapter for developing international relations within the SAARC region;
- Chitrasena Vajira Dance Foundation for the preservation for posterity of national dances of Sri Lanka;
- National Trust – Sri Lanka for protecting, conserving and safeguarding the natural, cultural, tangible and intangible heritage of Sri Lanka.
- Gamidiriya Foundation for strengthening the rural economy at grass root level to assist the implementation of the Government Poverty Alleviation Strategy.
- Dialogue and Conflict Resolution Trust for acting as a national secretariat to facilitate conflict resolution between employers and trade unions;
- Ontime Technologies (Private) Limited for setting up the first rural IT BPO in Sri Lanka for local and international backup office operations. The once remote and distant village of Mahavilachchiya has gained national and international fame as an “e-village” with the highest density of computers of any village in Sri Lanka and broadband internet connectivity in many parts of the village.
- Working with companies / institutions such as Rotary International, Kurier Aid, Siemens, Agio Cigars, Jetwing Hotels, Hayleys on various projects for providing distress relief and post tsunami reconstruction by setting up housing projects, schools, vocational training centres, orphanages, medical clinics and health centres, self employment loan schemes etc.
- Lanka Business Coalition on HIV and AIDS to leverage the business community to make a committed response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. It also provides a platform from which policies and awareness programmes can be coordinated and executed efficiently by pooling resources and knowledge that exists within the business community
We continue our support to such institutions in multifarious ways.
As a member of Lex Mundi, we assist in projects referred to us by the Lex Mundi Pro-bono Foundation.
Roshani Kobbekaduwa is the partner in charge of the pro-bono work of the Firm and may be contacted at Roshani.Kobbekaduwa@fjgdesaram.com